VA No. : 068
Job Title:Technical Advisor ECOWAS Peace Support Operations
Min. Qualification: Master’s degree in international relations, law, political science,
social science or other related field of study
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, ECOWAS Peace and Security Architecture and
Salary: According to GIZ salary scale for Band 4
Closing Date of advert : 06.12.2020
Background : GIZ. Solutions that work.
As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security. The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and
The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2019, we generated a business volume of around EUR 3.1 billion. Our 22,199 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff, work in around 120 countries. As a recognised development service provider, we currently have 556 development workers in action in partner countries. Furthermore, in 2019, the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM), which is run jointly by GIZ and the German Federal Employment Agency, placed 262 integrated experts and 515 returning experts with local employers in our partner countries, or provided them with financial support, advice or other services.
*Personnel and business figures as at 31 December 2019*
Since 2006, GIZ has been supporting the ECOWAS Commission in the areas of Organizational Development, Trade & Customs, and Peace & Security, on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). Since February 2019, GIZ implements the ECOWAS Peace and Security Architecture and Operations (EPSAO) project. The project which is co-funded by the European Union (EU) and the BMZ is scheduled to run for a period of four years, until January 2023.
The overall objective of the EPSAO project is to contribute to strengthening ECOWAS capacities for preventing and managing conflicts in West Africa. The project intervenes in four thematic
areas: 1) the strengthening of ECOWAS mechanisms for the promotion and maintenance of peace, stability and post crisis operations; 2) enabling ECOWAS to manage emerging or existing conflicts; 3) contributing to the creation of a secure and safe post conflict environment; and 4) contributing to peaceful, fair, transparent and inclusive electoral processes.
Responsibilities & tasks:
Under the supervision of the Head of Programme and the Head of Component Peace Support Operations and Security Sector Reform, the Technical Advisor ECOWAS Peace Support Operations is responsible for supporting the ECOWAS Commission with the conceptualization, planning and delivery of relevant trainings to the ESF and for developing, planning and implementing
activities designed to strengthen the cooperation between ECOWAS and its training centres.
The Technical Advisor ECOWAS Peace Support Operations will undertake the following roles and functions:
• Design, plan and implement technical advisory instruments related to peace support operations, in liaison with the partner and under the technical supervision of the Head of Component.
• Provide technical advice and support to the Directorate of Peacekeeping and Regional Security (DPKRS) of the ECOWAS Commission on peace operations policy, capacity development/training issues and the cooperation between TCEs and TIs.
• Engage through advisory and technical services the Training Centres of Excellence/Training Institutes (TCEs/TIs) in support of the ECOWAS Standby Force’s capacity/capability needs and requirements.
• Provide technical advice to the ECOWAS Standby Force Training Focal Points on training related aspects, taking into account integrated approaches to strengthening the multidimensionality of the ESF and gender mainstreaming requirements.
• Identify new training needs, policy requirements and joint activities in dialogue with the partner, the training centers and the Head of Component.
• Support alignment of the ECOWAS Standby Force within the continental African Peace and Security (APSA) framework.
Planning, implementation and knowledge management
• Ensure sound and efficient planning, organisation and implementation of planned activities and events, in close coordination with the relevant colleagues from the administrative and financial units and under the technical supervision of the Head of Component.
• Support the implementation of the Component’s annual work planning, budget and review processes, in line with the project objectives and procedures.
• Support knowledge management and learning through evaluation of trainings and other activities carried out impact monitoring and identification of lessons learned and best practices.
• Prepare and deliver presentations for both GIZ internal and external events and/or activities, as required.
• Contribute to the preparation of periodic progress for the BMZ and the EU as well as other analytical reports, as required.
• Ensure consistent implementation of GIZ and EU guidelines.
• Perform other project-related duties and functions as may be directed.
Required qualifications, competences and experience:
• Master’s degree in international relations, law, political science, social science or other related field of study Professional experience
• At least seven years’ experience working in the areas of peacebuilding, democracy and governance, conflict prevention or another related field.
• At least three years of professional experience with the development, planning and the delivery of training for multi-dimensional peace support operations.
• Previous work or field experience multi-dimensional peacekeeping missions in Africa is an advantage.
Other knowledge, additional competences
• A deep understanding of the African peace and security landscape and especially the ECOWAS region with an established network of contacts across the ECOWAS training centres.
• Ability to work in a highly political context and to engage with a broad range of actors, including high ranking officials, military leaders and civil society.
• Excellent diplomacy and persuasion skills with a high sense of integrity and transparency
• Good knowledge and understanding of results-based planning, monitoring and reporting
• A high sense of adaptation and innovation to support training delivery beyond traditional in-presence activities
• Impeccable writing, reporting and presentation skills
• Strong organisational and project management skills
• A strong interest in questions of organisational development and capacity development
• Spoken and written language skills in English are required for this position. Fluency in French will be a strong added advantage.
• Proficient use of MS Office and MS Teams
• Ability to effectively and efficiently work in distributed/remote teams
C. Contract duration and duty station
• Contract duration: 24 months, 1 February 2021-31
• Duty station: Abuja, with duty travels across the region.
You are kindly requested to submit your CV and letter of motivation as one document with complete contact details via email to: [email protected]
(Please include vacancy no. 068 in mail subject)
GIZ Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer; both men and women are encouraged to apply.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted